Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

WBT National Convention Day 2


Cowabunga! This day will most likely be one of the highlights of my teaching career. I know for sure it is so far, though I’ve only been teaching for 12 years. If you aren’t about to be here for the conference, let me give you a run-down of the day and reason for my excitement.

Day 2 of the WBT National Convention at Louisiana College was focused on lesson design and delivery. We started off the day in the large group learning the 3 basic parts in teaching a lesson: the attention getter (Class-Yes) with ping-ponging the scoreboard, the lesson information presented in small pieces, and the Teach-Okay. Then, during our break-out sessions, the 5 steps of a lesson were discussed and practice. Coach Biffle asked Andre and me to each present shortened versions of a lesson to the whole group at the end of the conference day. We were both really nervous!

As Coach B. started the end of the day whole group session, my nerves continued to be on edge. I was called first and made my way to the front to give my lesson on odd numbers. My excitement probably got the better of me during my lesson because I went a little overboard on my Teach-Okay signals. Many attendees complimented my “performance” so I assume it was effective.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected to get the opportunity to not only meet the amazing Coach B., but also be asked to present the very thing he is teaching to the whole convention group! With one more day remaining to the conference, I have no doubt that I will become a better teacher for having attended just the 2 days so far. I look forward to learning about reading and math techniques tomorrow.

Thanks Coach for giving me confidence in my teaching!

For variations on Class-Yes and Teach-Okay, check out my suggestion list.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! Stepping out of our comfort zone is how we learn. So glad it went well. I bet your summer will be filled with new ideas for next year's class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are posting your updates on the conference! With all of the conferences being so far away from where I am living I am just living vicariously through all the other teachers who are attending. Good for you for getting up and presenting, thats so exciting!

    ReplyDelete