Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

SuperSpeed Math

In getting my classroom ready for this year's cast, I spent some time making sure my SuperSpeed Math was all ready to go. What is SS Math? It's only one of the most fun ways for your students to review their basic math facts in a game format. Let me explain.

As teachers, we all know how important it is for our students to have an instant recall of simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts. SS Math makes students want to practice every day! There are 2 levels for each type of fact. The first level gives the facts in order and the second mixes the facts up. Another feature of these levels are the gnarlies. These are the facts that are most troublesome for students. They are noted on each level in darkened squares.

How does this amazing game work? Students work in pairs. One student is reading the problem and then giving the answer while the 2nd student is checking those answers. After 1 minute time, the answering student notes the problem they last answered correctly. A second minute is provided and the goal is for the student to go past that "record". Roles are swapped and the 2nd student gets to answer while the 1st student checks.

If a student breaks their record, the next time they play, they move down one row. They remain on the same row the next time. I use a form I created for the students to record their progress on which helps them remember where they should start each time. That form is available here. For each turn, the student writes the letter and number coordinate for the problem they last answered correctly. A check is marked in the box if a new record is achieved on the 2nd minute. When they play again, the student counts the number of checks and they start that many rows down.

In order to keep the pages organized, I did a couple things. First, I printed the blank problems front to back and printed the answer pages on front only. I did this so the answering student wouldn't have something to cheat from. After laminating the pages, I stored them in plastic pocket folders, creating enough for each pair of students in my classroom.

The record forms are kept in a separate folder so that it doesn't matter which SS Math folder the pair gets. All of the folders are placed on a shelf for easy access. You can see my folder below. I have not put in the multiplication or division facts because those are just introduced to my 3rd graders and it will be well into the school year before the students are ready for them.

SuperSpeed Math Folder

Test pages printed front to back

Answer pages printed on the front only
   

11 comments:

  1. Julie,
    You made this easy for a teacher to manage. Thanks for sharing your successful management techniques!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I have been wanting to start to use this but have not as yet. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had no luck on the WBT website. I am so frustrated. After many attempts, I finally got logged in, but then when I tried to go to super speed math, I got a blank white screen. My teaching cohort tried with the same results. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a link to the Ebook page where you can download the SuperSpeed Math information. http://wholebrainteaching.com/index.php/downloads/Page-4.html

      The video about SuperSpeed Math is available on YouTube if you're having problems seeing the video on the WBT site.

      If you still are unable to get that to work, I would suggest using the Contact Us area of the WBT website for technical help. I was able to download it this morning with no problems.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I will try your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    I love how you organized your folders... I will have to decide if I want to change to your way next year. This year all my kids got their OWN folder with the answers on the back of the drill page. If they were saying the facts they looked at one side if they were checking they were on the other side. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Julie! I use SuperSpeeds in the classroom and for Homework. The parents get in on the "action" this way, and see the improvement results first hand!
    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been doing timed tests with paper and pencil all year, which is a requirement for all our 1st grade classes. Maybe at the end of the year coming up we'll do some SSM! Nice post!

    First Grade Frame of Mind

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids LOVE SuperSpeed! And I am so exited to find another WBT blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow my journey at droppinknowledge2.blogspot.com :)

      Delete