Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Power Pix





Power Pix are a great tool in Whole Brain Teaching. The video below about Power Pix is part of the Tuesday night webcast series on WBT.


In a nutshell, Power Pix are like mini anchor charts or visual reminders of concepts we teach using a question and answer with gestures. There are some available on the WBT website under Ebooks for K-3 in language arts and math that were created to match California state standards in those grade levels. The forum has some templates so you can make your own to fit the curriculum you have. For my Power Pix wall, I have a combination of both kinds. Here's what mine looked like about a week ago.

My Power Pix Wall
I have a row for each of the subjects I used the pictures for. Red is for math and green is for science. The blue is split into 2 rows. The first blue row is for topics covered in our reading series and the second is for English. I am also working on some in purple for my social studies (not shown in this picture), which I teach with science in an alternating manner.
When I introduce each Power Pix, the question and answer with gestures is discussed and reviewed for the picture. Each pre-made Power Pix from the WBT website has a cheat sheet that details step by step how to introduce and practice that particular skill. Ones that I have made myself do not have a cheat sheet, but it would be easy to make one by just following the 5 step WBT lesson plan.
Power Pix posted at least until the test has been taken on that skill. In some cases, I've taken them down before the test because the picture would provide answers. For example (zoop), the odd and even pix list the numbers large enough for my students to see them, so I take those down or I cover up the numbers. I do plan to keep some up on the wall. The fiction Power Pix will stay so we can review it when we talk about non-fiction in coming weeks.
Teachers who have enough wall space may create a specific area for math and one for language arts where the pictures would stay until state/standardized testing. In those cases, a grid is created so the pictures can be pointed out easily for reviewing. Unfortunately, this bulletin board is the largest area that I have in my classroom that I can also reach. As you might notice, I have the date at the bottom of that board as well because it's easy for my students to refer to daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment