Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Currently July

The start of the month means it's time for the Oh Boy 4th Grade currently. I'm a little late in joining the party this month, but things have been really busy for me!


Listening: There's a Rocky marathon on one of the movie channels. I've been watching since I found it during Rocky II. I think my favorite is Rocky IV when he faces the Russian fighter. Great music in that one!

Loving: I've finally learned what I will be doing this coming school year and it's a major change for me and for my school. I will be taking on the role of math interventionist for 3rd-6th grade. No more regular classroom teaching. I'm both excited and nervous about how this will work!

Thinking: With roughly 50 students, I'm going to have my work cut out for me when it comes to organizing my student's work. Some students will come only one day a week, while others will be almost every day. I'm considering 2 different options, both using file folders color coded by grade.


Filetastic - Black
Pocket Chart from Filetastic
Pacon® Classroom Keepers® Magazine Holder, Assorted Colors
Color Coded Magazine Boxes
I think the chart would be easier for the students to find their folder in, but I will need to have the wall space for 4 or 5 of them. The boxes would mean all of a grade together in one small spot, which could make getting folders a longer process.

Wanting: As part of what I plan to do with these students, I've been printing out various games to review computations and rounding. These are the skills we're starting with. My poor all-in-one-printer is taking forever to print the pages out!

Needing: I need to make my decision on the organizing so I can start buying what I need, like the colored folders, mechanical pencils, erasers, and either the charts or the boxes. Aside from my decision, there's the mess I have in my classroom. The materials for 3rd grade won't be taken out for another week.

Tips, Tricks, or Hints: I'm sure you must be thinking I'm crazy mentioning a portable hard drive rather than a thumb/flash/jump drive for school files. For a long time, I used them, maxed them out, got a larger one, then repeated. When I started having problems with my largest drive, I decided to upgrade. This one was at Wal-Mart - 500GB for around $50.00. While I know they make larger ones now, I have all of my school, music, and personal files on it and have about 430GB left. It is bigger, but I haven't had any problems with it working so far.

Toshiba Canvio 3.0 Plus - hard drive - 1 TB - USB 3.0
Toshiba Portable Hard Drive


 If anyone has other suggestions for my organization dilemma, feel free to leave a comment for me!


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new position! I agree that everyone should have a portable hard drive, but I haven't been able to justify spending the money to get one yet. Have a great weekend!
    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the portable hard drive, I use dropbox.com

    It's my favorite price: free! And I can access whatever I save to it from anywhere that has internet.

    Good luck with your new position!

    Teaching Isn't Scripted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new position! It sounds like a dream job. I love the classroom but often think about the freedom of being a coach or interventionist! Good luck!!

    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new position! That's definitely going to be an interesting change. And I totally feel you on the new color printer thing. My little $34 all-in-one is definitely NOT keeping up with everything I need to get done this summer.

    Thanks!
    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can check it out at my blog.

    Erica
    Shepherd's Shining Stars

    ReplyDelete