Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Super Improvers Team

Admittedly, I've been slacking on using WBT in my classroom this year. With the huge grade level change (3rd - 7/8th math only) and all that comes with such a move, I've focused a lot on adjusting to the changes. However, I needed something to spark my students. Enter my Super Improvers Team! Sarah Meador, a fellow WBT teacher gave me some tips on how she has used the SIW but  as a whole class rather than individually.



Each of my classes has their own page. I created them using PowerPoint so I can easily edit the goals and print out a new one. To show the color changes in the levels, I'll print the class name using the colors.

 Like Sarah, I chose to have them get 5 marks for each goal. Each day, I choose a student to place the marks. The first level goals included 80% of students will be seated when the bell rings, 80% of students will have the necessary materials, and 80% of students will have their completed homework. So far, the classes have the first two goals and they are working on the last. One of the 7th grades may get it this week.

So, where do I go for their next goals? I'm considering 100% of students complete their homework since 90% would only add 1 more student (I have classes of 16, 17 and 12 students), something related to Rule 2, and a system of notebook "checks" as some students don't think it's necessary to actually write down the examples I give or even write down the problems we work from the textbook. Hello, this is math - that requires pencil and paper to be used, not just shown as having necessary materials!

Anyone else out there using SIT with their classes? What kinds of goals do you set for your students and do you let them have some input on what the goals are?

3 comments:

  1. Great, Julie! Look forward to hearing about your experiences with the change-up!
    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is such a huge jump. Take it in stride girl! Good luck. =)

    Yay for being your newest follower on Blog Lovin. Drop by!

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your change, it is a huge jump and I hope that you have had time to adjust. I'm a newbie to WBT myself, but have found that EduKate's video on the scoreboard on youtube have been very helpful. You can also e-mail her too. This lady here (http://wbtgeometry.blogspot.com/2012/09/not-your-mamas-5-step-lesson-plan.html) does WBT for Geometry at the higher levels so I think she can help you out too. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete