Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Classroom Setup 2014 Part 1

I'm linking up with Mrs. Shipley's WBT Wednesday, just a little delayed this week!

 WBT Wednesday with Mrs. Shipley

It's back to school time again! With the start of school just 3 short weeks away, I've been working to get my 3rd grade room ready for funtricity! This post starts a series of posts on parts of my classroom that I've set up related to Whole Brain Teaching.

Let's look at some displays around my classroom.




Front and center in my classroom are the 5 rules posters shown in the top half of the picture. I chose to use this version available for a small fee on the WBT website. In the past I've used the free ones from there as well as ones I've made myself. Teacher Pay Teachers has many options if you don't want to create your own, just know they should be FREE!

These rules aren't just to decorate our classroom! I have 2 sections of students and we will review the rules several times each day for a couple weeks, then 2-3 times a day or more often as needed as the year progresses.

Next to the clock are FREE signs with some of the most often used WBT techniques. Again, just as you can get other versions of the rules, you can find these out there in other themes as well. I placed them near the clock in my room so students have a reminder of them whenever they wander off to see how much time is left until the next happening of the day.



It's a little hard to see, but at the top of this bulletin board are some of the new Brainies! To help save space on my walls, I put two per page. I'm teaching math and social science (a mix of science and social studies throughout the year), so I did not print out all of the Brainies pertaining to very specific ELA skills like clauses and parts of speech. I've left some room to add a couple more later in the year. These "posters" include capital letter, end marks, commas, and, Help Me! and other Brainies that my students will be using frequently. This area is also in the from of my classroom to serve as visual reminders.

Next week, I'll focus on how I plan to work my Scoreboard with 2 classes as well as organizing for Super Improvers and possible Practice Cards later in the school year.


Until next time ~ Power to the teachers and students!



1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the series! My classroom is still locked up but will open up the first week of August.

    I'm already using several WBT strategies (Core 4 & SIT). One of the WBT strategies I plan to implement this year is SuperSpeed. I read your post from 2012 about SS math, which was very helpful. If you have any further wisdom to pass along I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete