Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Classroom Setup 2014 Part 2



It's time to join in Mrs. Shipley's WBT Wednesday!



Last week, I showed some poster displays around my classroom and those are important little pieces. Let's look at more organizing with other Whole Brain Teaching components.

Scoreboard:
The Scoreboard is whole class motivation and management. When I have had 2 sections in the past, I actually had two side-by-side Scoreboards up in the classroom. This provided some motivation for each section because I left the score up for the other group to see. You can see pictures of that double Scoreboard version here.

This year, I will have two sections again, but I'm going to keep the Scoreboard on my front whiteboard. Most likely, I will split the area in half for the individual classes. (Sorry I don't have a picture! I forgot to take one today!)

Practice Cards:
In last week's post, one picture showed a red, numbered pocket chart. That chart will serve as my home for Practice Cards if they are needed later in the year. I can easily walk over the the chart, place the appropriate rule card into the child's numbered pocket and continue teaching. No need to scold the student or have them take a walk of shame to do it themselves! With numbers rather than names on the pockets, there's no need to worry about others knowing who received a card.

Super Improvers:
The final part of this week's peek into my room is how I plan to organize and display my SIW - or Super Improvers Wall.


The pocket chart above will be our SIW home. The various colors of index cards that are the student cards and the stickers for the cards are kept near my teaching area in a clear storage box.

Right now, I'm leaving it somewhat ordinary with no mention of SIW. During the first week of school. I will be adding components to build interest and curiosity. There will be blank white index cards, then one added on the side with Level 1 on it. Other colored cards will join the Level 1 card, but the level side will not be seen. A header near the top of the chart will replace Coming Soon with Super Improvers Wall written on it. The cards will be turned to reveal the students names last. The students will as, but I won't reveal anything until the 2nd week of school when the system is introduced.


Other WB teachers choose to put the completed wall up from day one rather than using a slow reveal. Do what works best for you, your classroom, and your students.

Next week, I'll talk about the area where I'll be displaying Power Pix and I'll show some pictures of my student desk arrangement. The count down for me has officially begun - 2 weeks from today is our teacher return and parent orientation day!




No comments:

Post a Comment